Brigadeiros (Portuguese for Brigadier) is a Brazilian Chocolate Fudge Ball, very easy to make, but also very popular in Brazil. It is made with the most three simplest of ingredients. It was created in the 1940s and named after Brigadier Eduardo Gomes, who once ran for president of Brazil.
I wouldn’t call it a chocolate, as it’s not made out of real chocolate, it’s merely cocoa powder mixed in with condensed milk and a tad bit of butter. You could say its a “candy” instead! Eaten all year round, at birthdays, gatherings, eat it by the spoon, can be used in brownies, toppings for cake, its like a “Ganache” of some sort.
Three very simple ingredients: Condensed Milk, Cocoa Powder and Unsalted butter. Thats all it is!! All cooked on a stove on medium heat, then placed in a bowl to set!! (like a ganache) Then rolled into balls, and usually rolled in toasted coconut, chocolate sprinkles, cocoa powder, or anything you like, then eaten!! Really easy isn’t it.
Now I make REAL chocolate, so this for me is one of those types of things that anyone can make, this doesn’t involve melting or tempering chocolate, actually like I said, its pure cocoa powder!!
So for now the recipe in its full capacity:
- 397g condensed milk (small tin)
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- Extra Cocoa powder for dusting, toasted coconut, chocolate sprinkles, etc
- Put all the ingredients in a heavy saucepan and put on a medium heat.
- Make sure you stir at all times, you do not want the bottom to burn.
- Once the mixture is coming away from the sides, or is coating the spoon, or slightly thickened, the mixture is done. This will take roughly 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl, cling film and place in the fridge for a few hours to firm up.
- Once mixture is firm, roll into bite size balls, coat in cocoa powder, chocolate sprinkles, toasted coconut, whatever you like.
- Eat straight away, or keep in an airtight container and store in the fridge. Will last a good couple of weeks.
That is how easy peasy it is!!! I shared it with a few family members and they all liked it, then again I think people tend to like anything relatively sweet anyway! Not my preferred choice, but its good to give something new a try! Great to make something with the kids too, watch them get creative and messy 🙂
Happy Candying 🙂 x