Recently I have been doing a lot of research on different way of how to make ice cream. When you don’t have a fancy ice cream maker, you kind of get bogged down about how to go about wanting to create a fuss free, tasty iScream. It’s all good and well scraping the contents of the container every few hours, but even that is hard work!…..I read on Passion For Baking blog that you can make it using a normal blender! It seemed a bit strange at first, the ingredients were a bit weird too…… I thought I’d try it out and see what the fuss is all about!
It is a healthy ice cream, made from Banana, Cocoa Powder and Vanilla Extract. The fruit replaces the addition of eggs, cream, and sugar. Banana is a well known stabiliser as it holds up, it is also thick when whisked, used as a replacer for cream, just how Avocado is a egg replacer! I used an Apple which is the same, gives it a slightly citric balance, both fruits are used as a replacer for sugar too!
This recipe is soooo creamy, like magical, and so tasty! You will love it!
Use 2 ripe bananas and 1 apple, before using, slice and freeze for approximately 4 hours, preferbly overnight!
- 2 ripe bananas – sliced and frozen
- 1 apple, sliced in small chunks and frozen
- 3.5 tbsp good quality cocoa powder – preferbly 70% cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Blitz the banana and apple slices in a blender. They will look like crumbs at first, carry on till it gets smoother.
- Add the vanilla extract and cocoa powder and carry on blending till it reaches a smooth, creamy, soft serve consistency.
- Transfer to a container, and freeze for a few hours (like normal ice cream)
- Remove 10 minutes before serving.
It’s as simple and fuss free as that! Creamy, thick, and insanely delish! Using ingredients you already have at home!
Use banana as your base cream, and then add whatever you like! The varities are endless. If you are vegan, you can find alternative ingredients at Holland & Barrett.
Try it and show me what you come up with 🙂