Ever been to Dishoom and paid £5 a portion for Okra Fries?….. Well I have and its astrocious for a teeny tiny amount in a small bowl! On Saturday my dad was craving for these and well we had some Okra (ladyfingers) and decided to make them instead. It’s so simple and my family loved them! The only time consuming aspect is de-veining and thinly slicing the okras. But apart from that, it’s flavourful and an ever lasting bite. The black salt mixture keeps you wanting to go back for more!
- 1kg Whole Okras (ladyfingers)
- Vegetable Oil (enough for frying, won’t need a lot)
- Black Salt (sanchar)
- Chilli Powder
- Chopped Coriander – wash and fully dry.
- Wash and thoroughly dry the okras. Top and tail, cutting just enough off the ends. Slice in half and at this point, be very careful, it will be a sticky mess. Remove the white veins and the seeds.
- Slice the okra very thinly (as we want them to be crispy) and put aside in a bowl.
- In a bowl, add a teaspoon of the black salt, paprika and chilli powder and mix togehter.
- Heat the oil in a pan (doesn’t need to be large).
- Fry the okras for approximately 10 minutes until they start to turn brown and the size deteriorates.
- Scoop up and set aside in a bowl for the oil to drain. Transfer to a new bowl and sprinkle the black salt mixture on top and garnish with the dried chopped coriander.
Easy peasy lemoney squeezy! I cannot wait to make some more! Maybe on a larger scale this time, with more mouths to feed, just double the amount of okras required.